- Gold made an all time new high today of $1,818.90 per ounce!
- If you want to buy gold for your portfolio as an investment or to trade , my recommendation has been to buy the exchange traded fund, GLD (chart and quote). This is the same advice Bob Brinker gives. Most other methods to buy gold involve high expenses.
- Note: I own gold and silver coins and misc jewelery but currently don't hold GLD.
- Now yielding a 100% safe 4.60%, I think Series I-Bonds are very attractive for cash in taxable accounts. You can buy up to $10,000 per Social Security number. $5,000 from TreasuryDirect.gov and $5,000 in paper form at your local bank. This is the last year paper iBonds will be sold so get them while you can.
- The earnings rate for Series I Savings Bonds is a combination of a fixed rate, which applies for the life of the bond, and the semiannual inflation rate. Series I Bonds Explained and
- Note: I own a lot of Series I Bonds, some with base rates as high as 3.00%!
See Earning Rates for Older I-Bonds
- I'd keep the term to 2 years or less. Perhaps make a CD ladder with
- Subscribe to my service NOW and get the August 2011 Issue for FREE! !
- Get email alerts when I buy or sell securities for my explore portfolio
- "Auto Buy" and "Auto Sell" levels set ahead of time for target buy and sell levels for my securities. This allows you to place "limit orders" with your broker in advance so you can go about your business. I send email alerts after these execute as reminders.
- All questions about what I write answered by Email. If what I write is not clear to you, just ask!
vs. the S&P500 UP only 21% vs. NASDAQ UP only 17% (All through 8/15/11)
(More Info & Portfolio Returns)
"Highest CD RatesSurvey"
as of August 15, 2010
|Term ||Highest |
(Click link for Full Rate Sheets)
|Vanguard Daily ||0.02% || Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund |
|Vanguard Tax Exempt ||0.05% ||Vanguard Tax Exempt |
Money Market Fund
|FDIC Daily Savings ||1.15% ||Best Savings Account Rate Survey|
|6 Month CD ||1.05% || AloStar Bank merging into Nexity Bank |
|6 Mo US Treasury ||0.07% ||US Treasury Rate Quote |
|1 Year CD ||1.40% ||AloStar Bank merging into Nexity Bank|
|1 Yr US Treasury ||0.10% ||US Treasury Rate Quote |
|18 - Month CD ||1.32% || Aurora Bank |
|2 Year CD ||1.45%||Aurora Bank|
|3 Year CD ||1.98% ||Security Service CU|
|4 Year CD ||2.07% ||Melrose CU & 2.06% @ TAB Bank |
|5 Year CD ||2.57% ||Security Service CU|
|5 Yr US Treasury ||0.95% ||US Treasury Rate Quote |
|7 Year CD ||3.30% ||Security Service CU & 2.75% PenFed CU |
|10 Year CD ||3.00% || Discover Bank |
|10 Yr US Treasury ||2.25% ||US Treasury Rate Quote |
|30 Yr US Treasury ||3.73% ||US Treasury Rate Quote |